By Anu M.V., Candok Health Coach @ candok.in
Oats, rich in dietary fiber, assist better glycemic control, are seen to reduce asthma in children, increase appetite, help to cut down the use of laxatives, help reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes, liver diseases and LDL cholesterol.
Oats boost the nutrient profile of a gluten free diet by providing recommended daily intake of fiber as well as increasing the levels of a particular antioxidant called bilirubin. Bilirubin helps the body eliminate free radicals as well as protects the brain from oxidative damage. Oats contain phytochemicals-plant chemicals that provide protection from chronic diseases.
Steel cut or instant Oats:
Whole oats known as steel cut is preferred over the paper thin instant oats. Instant oats get quickly digested whereas the whole oats are digested slowly and provide all the benefits of oats.
Know more about the benefits of Oats:
- Oats contain a good balance of essential fatty acids and amino acids that may help in longevity and general health.
- Oats are a good source of essential vitamins and minerals such as thiamine, folic acid, biotin, pentatonic acid, vitamin E, zinc, selenium, copper, iron, manganese and magnesium.
- Oats speed up response to infection which mainly results in faster healing.
- Oats can enhance the ability of certain human immune cells to navigate to the site of bacterial infection.
- Oats contain essential proteins that help facilitate optimum functioning of the body.
- Scientific studies prove that it can alter the metabolism and enhance performance when ingested 45 minutes to 1 hour before exercise of moderate intensity.
This easy to cook oatmeal may be a good breakfast option to start your day. While you travel or at home opt for a whole grain healthy breakfast. Oatmeal breakfast can be a filling option loaded with health benefits and protection from chronic illnesses.
Candok Health Coach ( Nutritionist/Dietitian) can provide guidance, prepare a customized diet plan, suggest basic physical activity and guide you through your journey to well-being
Understanding and applying Nutrition Series. Edited by Candok editorial board, Candok Lifestyle. Live Life, Naturally!